Thursday, November 7, 2013

Wearing my baby

Back in October was International Babywearing Week. The purpose was basically for making more people aware of the benefits of wearing your baby. Plus-it's becoming a very "trendy" thing to do-but that's not why I enjoy wearing Isaiah.
A while back, I think even before Isaiah was born, I came across an article called the 4th trimester and how important it is for babies to be close to their mommies for quite awhile after arriving earthside. I mean-they did just spend the last 9 almost 10 months snuggled inside your belly! So of course their need to be held constantly in your warm arms is important.
 http://babycalmblog.com/2012/07/06/the-fourth-trimester-aka-why-your-newborn-is-only-happy-in-your-arms-30/

I really got into the whole baby carrier thing after Isaiah was here. I started off with a moby wrap and an infantino. (Had an ergo baby carrier-but Isaiah couldn't fit into it til later) Since then, my knowledge on different carriers has grown and my awareness for "ergonomic" carriers has expounded. For which I am thankful for. Carriers like the infantino and baby bjorn are not ideal for babies especially when facing forward.
It can cause hip displacia because of the narrow seat of the carrier. It doesn't evenly distribute the baby's weight or properly position the legs which could lead to problems if worn for long periods of time; for baby and for mommy! It's not comfortable for the mom!
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/wearing-a-baby-what-to-do-and-what-not-to-do/
(Not putting anyone down! Just so you know! A worn baby-doesn't exactly matter how, is a good thing :))

(Even stuffed animals like to be worn by cute little boys :) )

I am by no means trying to be preachy! Sometimes the babies NEED to face forward because that's all that will make them happy :) Been there!

But let me tell you-I've loved discovering all the different baby carriers that are out there. I could easily spend hundreds of dollars on them (and people do! Crazy!!) but it's just not practical :)  Plus, carriers and babywearing can be addicting. Just like cloth diapering :)

Right now I own an ergo, a moby ( which is only good for small babies-they "out grow" it around 15 pounds and is not safe for back carries), a ring sling and a woven wrap( which is good from infancy to toddlerhood! And is safe for back carries :) )
I love all of them!

Back to my original post tho! International babywearing week came around and my local babywearing group had a contest for a scavenger hunt. There were 25 different things to do while babywearing and you were to get photos while doing them.

I actually won and got several great prizes! We had a fun time trying to get as many of these accomplished as possible :)
(I know...I'm such a nerd!!)

This was basically just a post to tell you how much I love wearing my baby close to me. Isaiah loves being worn and calms down almost instantly most times AND you can do things hands free. Win!!
:)
We even got to check off the "babywear near and alpaca" :D

So there you go. Go wear your baby. I promise you that you will love it and so will your baby:)

https://www.llli.org/nb/nbnovdec04p204.html


3 comments:

  1. That scavenger hunt is such a fun idea! I didn't read about the fourth trimester until after my daughter was born, but she lived in the moby for her first three months out of necessity :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...are you trying to communicate to me to give up on the bjorn and move to a moby only?? Or an ergo?? Maybe next time...

    ReplyDelete